What is a Voter ID card?
Voter Helpline : A voter ID card, also known as “Voter Registration Card” or an “Election Card” is issued to an Indian citizen by the Election Commission of India which acts as a proof of his/her citizenship and allows them to cast their votes in this country. This photo identity card helps in improving the accuracy of the electoral roll and to help prevent cases of electoral fraud.
Why is Voter ID Card so important?
- It is a form of identity proof which can be used to avail services in this country.
- It allows you to cast your vote in elections.
- It proves that you are an Indian citizen.
- It helps in reducing electoral fraud.
Voter Helpline : People with a valid voter’s ID can avail special offers which are rolled out by the Government of India from time to time. For example, you cannot apply for a ration card in India if you do not have a voter’s ID.
Steps to search for your Voter ID Card online
- Visit the Electoral Search website. This website saves all voter’s information after 2 or 3 weeks of them applying for a Voter ID Card.
- On the homepage of the website, you will have two options to find out your details. The first method is to type your Epic Number and the second option is to search by filling your personal information.
- If you choose the first option, you will be required to enter your Epic Number, State, and the Security Code displayed on the screen and click on “search”. If you are a registered voter, your details will be displayed on the screen.
- You can also choose “Search by details” option and enter details like your full name, age, date of birth, states, district, and your constituency and click on “Search” to find your Voter Identity Card details. If you are a registered voter, your details will be displayed on the screen.
Why should you check your name in the Voter List 2021?
Voter Helpline : If you are wondering – why should I check my name in voter list?- then read on. The Election Commission of India periodically updates the voter list. If it finds any discrepancies in details, the names of such voters are removed from the list. Some of the reasons for removal of name from voter list are: –
- Death of the Voter
- Fake Voter Details
- Incorrect Particulars
- Change of Address/ No longer living at the given address
If your name has been removed from the voter list due to any of the above reasons or by mistake, you will not be eligible to vote in the upcoming elections. It is therefore important for you to perform a regular voter list search.
- Furthermore, if you have recently applied for inclusion of your name in the voter list, then you must check your name in the voter list. Otherwise, you will risk being denied the right to vote at the time of elections.
Voter Helpline : For your convenience, the Election Commission of India maintains an online voter list. Here is a stepwise guide to check your name in the voter list 2021: –
- Log-on to the official website of the election commission of India, i.e. https://eci.gov.in/
- Scroll down the page, and towards the left side of your screen you will be able to see an option “Search Name in Voter List.” Click on it.
- Here you can check your name in the voter list through two options: –
Search by Details :
- This option is suited for new or existing voters
- Enter all the details on the particular fields on the screen, i.e. your name, date of birth, gender, father/husband’s name.
- Select the state, district or assembly constituency your name is registered in.
- Alternatively, you can select your location with the help of the map tool displayed on the screen.
- Enter the captcha code and click on the Search button.
- This option is suitable only if you are an existing voter.
- On the screen, enter your EPIC number as displayed on your Voter ID.
- Select the state you reside in.
- Enter the Captcha code and click on the “Search Button.”
- Irrespective of which of the above mentioned two methods you use to search your name in the voter list, you will be redirected to the result page.
- If your name is on the voter list, you will be able to see the information on your screen.
- If your name is not on the list, then you need to get in touch with your nearest Electoral officer and intimate them regarding this discrepancy.
- You will be asked to fill the requisite forms and submit the necessary documents to process your application.
- It is very important for you to check your name in the Voter List 2021 as otherwise, you will not be able to exercise your right to vote in any of the upcoming elections.